Rodenticides are a category of pest control chemicals intended to kill rodents, mice, and rats. Based on active substance anticoagulants, that act by blocking the blood clotting mechanism in the body of the animal, rodenticides cause generalized bleeding. The animal dies in the range of 3 - 8 days after the ingestion of a lethal dose. However, a quicker death can be noticed, at 2 to 3 days after the animal consumed a greater number of rodenticides.
For the safety of pets and any animals that are not targeted by rodenticides, they are composed of a substance called BITREX. This substance is very bitter, but its taste is not felt by rodents, so it is the ideal way to protect animals that are not targeted by these products, as they will tend to keep away.
Anticoagulants can cause a chronic, slow death, which occurs after ingesting a lethal dose, but rarely sooner. Some rodenticides are lethal after one exposure, while others require more than one dose to kill a rodent.
Rodenticides can have different shapes: fresh paste, pellet, paraffin cubes, grains, foam, tracking powder. Selecting the type of rodenticides depends on where you are planning to apply the treatment. If it is outside, bait stations are recommended, in order to protect and preserve rodenticides better. Also, in places with high humidity, the best rodenticides to be used are those containing paraffin (wax in texture).
Regarding their packaging color, rodenticides are similar, but this does not make them the same. When selecting a rodent poison, don't guide yourself after package or color, but by the substance they contain.
In the case of accidental ingestion, the antidote is vitamin K1.